My 20’s were spent pleasing others, living up to other people’s expectations, and trying to stand out, be part of the trends, while not wanting people to look at me. In the last few years I’ve really had to ask myself, “Are you on the journey that you want or the journey that is expected of you?” I was starting to realize that I wasn’t living authentically. In 2016 I’m finally working towards living authentically and creating the life that I want.
One of my big Ah Ha moments came when I was watching a YouTube video titled This Might Be Why You’re Not Traveling The World. In the video the vlogger was talking about packing for a visit to the USA and realizing that she had so much STUFF, holding her back from being mobile. What happened? Did I just suddenly wake up the next morning and throwout everything in my closet and life. Ha Ha, No!
But, that vlog woke me up and made me realize that I was in the same boat (I knew that I had so much STUFF, but kept making excuses as to why I need all that STUFF). After that, I started getting rid of the STUFF in my life that was holding me back. This was at the end of 2014. The purging off STUFF accelerated when I accepted my current job in 2015 to teach in Beijing, China. Knowing that your going to move countries is a great motivational tool. I am talking about donating two 50-gallon trash bags full of clothes, about 10 pairs of shoes, knick-knacks, and various items that I told myself that I was going to use as inspiration for my art and design work. I will say that I was 75% successful in purging my STUFF before I left America. I know that with some time and distance I can return to my parents’ house and objectively get rid of the remaining 25% of STUFF. Except for my favorite books (my parent will have to live with those forever).
It’s a good thing that age, time, and experience can change our outlook on life. Heading into my 30’s I decided to go for the things in life that I have always wanted. I have wanted to travel, live abroad, create the art that I want, dress in a style that feels authentically me, and really get this blog off the ground. I have been afraid of putting the effort into my blog because that meant letting people in. The thing I have been learning is that you have to find a balance. There are just some things that are meant to be kept private.
My motto for 2016 is to Keep It Simple. That means controlling the STUFF in my life that I can control and realizing that I can’t control the actions of others. There will always be people that will talk negatively about me and doubt me. It means apologizing to the people that I have wronged and realizing that some relationships won’t ever be the same. So if I have ever said or done something intentionally or unintentionally to you, I sincerely apologize and ask for your forgiveness. Part of my STUFF purging is to get rid of cloths that I bought because I was following a trend, getting off social media/ “dating” apps, get out of debt, and cleaning up my bad habits.
Keep It Simple is an ever-evolving motto. Some STUFF will naturally fall off the list or return to the top.